20 Dec Starmobile partners with Trend Micro to safeguard Android users
MANILA, Philippines, December 20, 2014 – As consumer technology evolves, mobile threats become more sophisticated posing critical risks to our files, devices, and to our overall computing experience.
Just this year, several types of mobile threats have emerged and spread. These include traditional mobile malware that intercept calls and messages, mobile ransomware that lock user devices in exchange for payment, and mobile banking malware that steal banking credentials. Users need to be protected now more than ever.
Committed to protect the digital lifestyles of Filipinos, leading security solutions provider Trend Micro launched Dr. Safety free app for Android devices. Dr. Safety is powered by Trend Micro technologies such as virus scanning system to block spyware-carrying Android apps and other threats. With Dr. Safety, Android users can now have a peace of mind as the app can help preserve their online privacy, find their missing device once lost, stay away from unwanted Facebook users, and block malicious apps that steal information and money.
“Dr. Safety represents Trend Micro’s commitment to hard work and innovation to provide a safe mobile experience for Filipinos,” said Myla Pilao, Marketing Director for Trend Micro Philippines. “More importantly, we highly encourage users to complement security apps like Dr. Safety with responsible usage of their mobile devices for a more sustainable online safety.”
Pilao continued, “With the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) trend, more than 30% of mobile devices connecting to enterprise networks are owned by employees. With Dr. Safety, we hope to help reinforce IT security as the app scans every malicious app in circulation, detecting more than 200 million threats per day.”
Below are the features of Dr. Safety:
- Security Threat Scan – Detects and blocks malicious apps before they can reach your device. It can also remove malicious apps already present on your Android smartphone or tablet, and restore the proper settings that malicious apps might have changed.
- Privacy Risk Scan – Identifies which apps collect and steal personal data.
- Lost Device Protection – Lets you find, lock, or wipe the data off a missing device.
- Safe Web Surfing – Blocks malicious websites including fake banking and other fraudulent sites.
- Call & SMS Filter – Blocks unwanted contacts and messages based on your preferences.
- Social Media Privacy Advisor – Improves your Facebook privacy settings.
- Apps and Games – Shows the apps and games you can safely install, because every single one has already passed strict security checks.
- Dr. Safety Level – Provides users with virtual gifts and special promotions just for using Dr. Safety.
- My Notifications – Displays app information, personalized news, and recommendations.
Additionally, Android users in the Philippines have had an early experience of Dr. Safety through the strategic partnership of Trend Micro and Starmobile. Dr. Safety is now pre-loaded in selected Starmobile smartphones, giving users immediate access to the security app upon purchase.
“Trend Micro equips our devices with cutting-edge security so users need not worry about viruses, malicious apps, or dangerous websites,” says Starmobile Product Development Head Michael Chen. “Our alliance with Trend Micro strengthens our position in the market to provide value and peace of mind to all our customers.”
Google Play users have given Dr. Safety a rating of 4.5 out of 5. Download Dr. Safety today for free via visiting https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trendmicro.freetmms.gmobi&hl=en.